So...as the nights start to get a little darker, and we move from strappy sandals back to boots, it's time to get nice and cosy for a super nights sleep, it's SO good for our skin. During the night our skin goes through an essential process of repair and renewal; dead skin cells are replaced, any damage picked up during the day is repaired. The simple equation is that good sleep = good skin. So time to relish the darker evenings, get all cosy and go hibernate. Here's how....
1. Download and destress. It's important to download from the day and clear you mind. Turn off your i-phone, move away from your laptop. If your mind is still whirling, put pen to paper and write down everything you need to remember/do/say for tomorrow. Life's better with a plan. Take some deep breaths, look at your list and give yourself a nice pat on the back for being all organised. Then put the list to one side and forget about it until tomorrow.
2. Cut the caffeine. Caffeine has a half life of around 5 hours, so try to avoid caffeine after midday. Swap to Marble&Milkweed Rose and Chamomile Tea, to sooth and calm your mind, and it tastes really lovely.
3. Room Prep. OK...time to do a bit of a room recce. For perfect sleeping conditions you need to black out your room. Do a quick test, turn all the lights out, shut the door. Can you still see things? If you can it's too light. Find where the light is coming from and try to take measures to black it out. Oh, and turn the heating off/down...you'll sleep better in a cooler room.
4. Pile it on. Your skin is best placed to absorb topical creams and oils over night. Pick a night cream or rich oil jam packed with active ingredients. You can sleep while they do all the hard work. We love Dahliana Overnight Fruit Lift and Josh Rosebrook Deep Hydrating Serum.
5. Go on treat yourself. Overnight treatments for hair are fabulous too. We love to apply four droppers of Yarok Feed Your Youth to hair before bed, work it through the hair from roots to tip, allow it to sink in overnight. Then shampoo and condition as normal in the morning. Hair will fabulously hydrated and super smooth.
6. Get all silky. A silk pillowcase feels super luxury and is really good to keep wrinkles at bay. Give it a quick spritz with a relaxing fragrance we love Marble&milkweed spritz with chamomile.
7. Early to bed. The sleep you get before midnight counts as double in beauty terms. The body goes through difference processes to repair and renew hair and skin while we sleep, from 10pm to midnight is the time for hydration and stimulation, while midnight to 3am is the time for nutrition and regeneration, and 3am to 6am is the time for resting. So try to get tucked in and ready to rest by 10pm.
There you have it, a seven step guide to getting your beauty sleep. So night night everyone, happy hibernation...