We all know that we are what we eat, and that what we eat is best left as natural as possible, that is to say as raw as possible. In SoCal (Southern California) there is an emerging trend for Raw Beauty. Put simply, people are applying raw food principles to beauty, taking the same Super Foods that deliver intense hits of vitamins and nutrients to our bodies when eaten as food, and reinterpreting them – often using culinary techniques – as cutting edge uber effective beauty products. In fact, what started as a raw food movement is rapidly becoming a raw beauty revolution.
1. Get more of the good stuff. Our skin is the largest organ in the body and absorbs approx 70% of what we put on it. Look for skincare with fresh, raw natural ingredients to give your skin a super hit of vitamins and nutrients. The Body Deli Blueberry Fusion Micro Scrub contains raw blueberries and acai which packed full of super nutrients and skin loving antioxidants, amino acids and essential omega fatty acids.
2. Feed Your Skin. We've found some amazing Raw Skincare products; Bee Yummy Skinfood. Featured in Vogue this month, it's a cult NYC product loved by make-up artist and celebs (including the gorgeous Georgia Jagger). It has 100% raw ingredients including honey, bee pollen, fir needles and delivers and amazing 27 vitamins, 22 amino acids and 80 nutrients, it's our go-to raw night cream. Also a range of products totally new to the UK is called The Body Deli, think superfood skincare for your skin.
3. Drink up. Water is key. It's good for you inside and out. Stay hydrated by trying to drink at least 2 litres of water a day. We get one of those big Evian bottle and keep refilling it each morning so we've got something to measure it. Add cucumber and mint to the water to keep it interesting.
1. Get fresh. Diet is also a great way to up the raw intake. Raw food is said to contain a third more vitamins and minerals than cooked foods. You don't need to swap entirely, try just two raw meals a day; a smoothie or green juice for breakfast, and a salad for lunch.
2. Two out of three ain't bad. Switching to a totally raw lifestyle is a bit hectic. So try to stick to two raw meals a day. Do a green juice for breakfast, and a big salad for lunch, then anything you like for dinner. We've found doing a raw breakfast and lunch easiest. But sometime stick to raw breakfast and dinner with a cheeky soup for lunch. Mix it up, and try to trick to two raw meals a day.
3. OMG look what we found. Jamie Oliver does a raw food chocolate cake....need we say more!
So, will you get more raw? Would love to hear your experiences of a Raw Beauty diet, tweet us at ABW_UK and tell us how you get on.