1. Do everything else first. Prepping the skin beforehand is almost as important as how you apply. Make sure you have waxed, shaved, manicured, pedicured and anything else you can think of before you start
2. Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate. Dark patches happen when dry skin absorbs the fake tan, that's why it's important to exfoliate throughly before application - give special attention to areas like knees, elbows and heels. We like S.W. Basics Scrub
3. Hydrate hot spots. Pop a little moisturiser on elbows, knees and heels to stop them turning too dark. MuLondon Organic White Chocolate Moisturiser is perfect for this
4. What's right for you. Pick the self-tanner that's most suited to your skin type, and desired results. Chocolate Sun self-tanner comes in Lite for a hint of colour, or Glow for a deeper beach ready result, or Absolute for that just back from holiday look.
5. Start at the bottom and work up. For the perfect even tan start with you feet and work up your body to avoid missing bit or streaks. Use a tanning mitt for beautiful even coverage.
6. Don't rush it. Take it slow, spending time on the application will really be worth it, and once it's on leave it for ten minutes or longer to let it really sink in before you dress. Spend the time considering which bikini you'll wear first this summer